Tap Water Facts
Top Ten Contaminants Found in Tap Water
Modern technology has created a false sense of comfort across the nation. Unfortunately, industrialization, pollution, and a plethora of man-made chemicals, all used in the name of profit and protected by special interest groups, have knowingly introduced incredibly dangerous toxins into our water.
1. Lead. Toxic even at low levels, excessive lead has been found in 2,000 water systems spanning all 50 states over the past four years. Exposure to Lead in adults causes fatigue, nerve pain, high blood pressure and even more critical conditions.
2. Chlorine and Chloramines. Added to all municipal water to kill germs, these powerful chemicals can disrupt the healthy bacteria we need for our digestion as well as cause skin dryness and painful irritation.
3. Trihalomethanes. Cancer-causing contaminants that form during water treatment with chlorine and chloramines. They are found in all 50 states that effect almost 300 million people.
4. Chromium 6. Cancer-causing chemical best known for being exposed in nationally televised catastrophes, it has been found at higher-than-recommended levels in the tap water supplying almost 70% of all Americans.
5. PFCs or PFASs. Widely used water proofing and fire-retardant chemicals found in the drinking water of 15 million Americans in 27 states and are linked to cancer, thyroid disease, weakened immunity and other health problems.
6. Perchlorate or Rocket Fuel. EPA studies have found that this chemical, likely to cause cancer and reproductive issues in humans. This chemical has also been reported to be contaminating the drinking water of between 5 and 17 million households across the country.
7. Arsenic. This widely known and popular poison and potent carcinogen is unwittingly being consumed in the tap water of millions of Americans.
8. Herbicides. These volatile weed-killing chemicals enter the drinking water system by accumulation in public soil and water sources. Can cause massive damage to hormonal and reproductive activity.
9. Pesticides. These commonly used insect and pest killing chemicals cause catastrophic damage to glands that produce hormones that regulate metabolism, growth and development, tissue function, sexual function, reproduction, sleep, and mood, among many other things.
10. Pharmaceuticals. Synthetic chemicals that are found in prescription medications and highly dangerous illegal narcotics. These can include antibiotics, birth control, pain killers and blood thinners.
What is particularly scary is that these are just 10 of the contaminants mostly commonly found in our water systems across the country. While the EPA has identified 7,500 contaminants in municipal tap water across the country that they consider to be of significant health risk, the vast majority of these are not even monitored or tested for!
We don't have to play Russian Roulette when it comes to drinking tap water. We can take matters into our own hands by having access to pure water, either by buying bottled water or using an effective water purification system at home.